Old 05-05-2003, 10:58 PM
irrat8ed1

Default Cheap man's lawn care

I use Scotts brand products, and my lawn is great. If you kill the weeds
and fertilize (and keep it watered) you will be amazed at how in a few weeks
your lawn will be super green and thick. Seeding in the Spring and Fall is
a great way to thicken it up too. Scotts has a "fungus control" product.
After that I'd go with the 4 step program suggested for you area. (Be aware
that if you use the crabgrass preventer you can't seed for about 8 weeks.)
As for the dandelions...I hand spray those with weed-b-gone for broadleaf
weeds. You may have to do it a couple of times a week for a few weeks...but
it is worth it. They wont come back. If you dig out the dandelions it
leaves some of the root and it will grow back again and again. As far as
dethatching you could do that and then spread some seed to fill it in.
Dethaching is is pretty tough on the lawn, so I usually wait until early
fall to do that, though. That is the best planting time too. Link:
http://www.scotts.com/ Don't worry, I'm not some Scotts rep or something I
just like the stuff.

"bill cameron" wrote in message
Just bought a house for the first time. My small lawn has the following
problems

Moss to the max
Broad leaf weeds
Dandilions a small amount
Weed grass a small amount

New home owner on a budget...what should I do the first year, to have a
decent lawn? Thinking power racking with a thatch attachment on the my
lawnmower, then moss kill and repeat. Question. When do I go at the broad
leaf weeds with local spray, before or after thatching? Weed grass, just

dig
out? Dandilions, just dig out?

Thanks

bill