Old 05-05-2003, 10:58 PM
Timothy

Default Cheap man's lawn care

On Mon, 10 Mar 2003 05:46:16 +0000, irrat8ed1 wrote:

I use Scotts brand products, and my lawn is great. If you kill the weeds
and fertilize (and keep it watered) you will be amazed at how in a few
weeks your lawn will be super green and thick. Seeding in the Spring and
Fall is a great way to thicken it up too. Scotts has a "fungus control"
product. After that I'd go with the 4 step program suggested for you area.
(Be aware that if you use the crabgrass preventer you can't seed for
about 8 weeks.) As for the dandelions...I hand spray those with
weed-b-gone for broadleaf weeds. You may have to do it a couple of times
a week for a few weeks...but it is worth it. They wont come back. If you
dig out the dandelions it leaves some of the root and it will grow back
again and again. As far as dethatching you could do that and then spread
some seed to fill it in. Dethaching is is pretty tough on the lawn, so I
usually wait until early fall to do that, though. That is the best
planting time too. Link: http://www.scotts.com/ Don't worry, I'm not
some Scotts rep or something I just like the stuff.

You would be shocked nearly to death if you got your carpet analised for
heavy metals and chemicals. Everytime you walk on your grass, you track
more of it into your house and embed it into your carpet. My city had a
testing program for a while... my test came back with really bad numbers
and I ripped out the capet and installed pergo floors.