Old 24-01-2003, 02:16 PM
Cereoid+10

Default Questions about plant lights

You don't need a full light spectrum.
You only need those wavelength which plants require for proper growth,
including photosynthesis.
You would only be wasting your money using incandescent bulbs because they
give off too much heat and produce mostly light in wavelengths that plants
don't use at an excessive wattage.

Faye Lifford-Earle wrote in message
. ..
Looking back at my 1st reply, I realize i inadvertantly left out an
important fact....along with a florescent tube...I also use an
incadescent tube as well. Florescents do NOT provide full light
spectrum.....Ldymac
Jeremy C. wrote:

Using a flourescent light in conjunction with a regular incadescent

light
will provide the wavelengths of light needed for all phases of
photosynthesis. Plant lights are designed to cover the wavelenghts that
this combination will provide but at a higher cost for the convenience.

As
far as how much light, you should do some homework on the plants that

you
are trying to grow under these lights. There are greenhouse grower's
manuals that will tell you how much light (intensity and duration) is

ideal
for different species.

Jeremy C.

www.hortusunlimited.com
EDUCATED TO PROVIDE YOU PROFESSIONAL HORTICULTURAL AND ARBORICULTURAl
CONSULTING, LANDSCAPE DESIGN AND RESIDENTIAL ENVIRONMENTAL PLANNING, AND
EXPERT TREE CARE SERVICES.

"Faye Lifford-Earle" wrote in message
I start on average, 100-200 perennials yearly in my home. I only use
florescent "soft" light 4'tubes. I hang them 3-4" from the plants and
raise the ballasts as the plants grow taller. Light should be offered

16
hours each day. light allows photosynthesis to take place.Plants like
any living species, requires a period of darkness in order to
rest.....so "no", it will not grow faster/healthier
Ldymac

Merl Turkin wrote:

On Mon, 06 Jan 2003 15:43:24 -0500, George Couch wrote:

Hi,

I was just wondering how well plant lights work. I've come

across
several of them in
stores, and they claim to be able to provide light for plants to

grow.
Can a plant survive solely on the light coming from one of these

lamps?
Do these lamps provide all of the necessary things required for a

plant
to be healthy?

How does light affect the growth of plants? Should there be

cycles
of
light and darkness,
or can I leave a plant under a lamp which is on all of the time.

Also,
if
a plant is under a plant light all of the time, will it grow

faster
than
if there are periods of darkness?

Thanks.
George Couch

Just use regular shop lights. The 4 foot flourescent tube kind.

That's
all
you need. Maybe one warm and one cool type tube in each fixture. I

wouldn't
waste my money on those "special" plant lights.