Old 24-01-2003, 02:26 PM
clc

Default zone 3 & 4 garden advice sought

I know the one year I bought straw to use as mulch it was FULL of weed seeds
that settled into my gardens. Never again!

Cheryl
"Mahsamatman" wrote in message
. ..
We are in 4a also. Best thing to do is stick with the hardier plants,
annuals,
and bulbs that you dig up each year then replant (dahlia, glads, etc). We
have a few marginally hardy roses, grapes, and berries that we mulch with
straw each fall. There are plenty of plants that can take a colder than
average, less snowy than average winter without damage. Best thing to
do is stick with them.

Straw works fine as a winter mulch. It's cheap and you can place it in
early November and take it out in spring as soon as the ground is dry

enough
to get at it without sinking into the mud. That way no trouble with
disease.

This isn't really a test winter, yet, no snow to be sure but temps only in
the
mid teens below zero, it's the odd one with the no snow and -25 below
zero that will tell you which plants are hardy.

Sam

"mmarteen" wrote in message
I am technically in zone 4a, Minneapolis, MN USA but this winter has

been
very odd. In fact, of the 7 winters I have endured in this fair city

each
has been fairly unique. 3 winters had barely any snow. One was

extremely
mild, temperature wise and the other two had at least 2 weeks of

hideously
cold weather, with temps well below 0, and in the 20s and 30s below with
windchill, so very cold and very windy. I have been very lucky with the
perennials that I have planted and haven't really mulched them. I have

nice hidcote lavender that has come back every year. I am less certain

this
year because of the bitter temps with no snow cover. I'll use it as a

test
case. I don't really grow any tender perennials, to keep maintenence

low.

I am wondering what I should do for the future in my new garden (we are
moving this spring). Should I plan to mulch every year in Oct? Our

coldest
weather generally doesn't show itself until January. Could I wait until
Dec. and mulch if the snow cover is too light or is this too risky? What

do
other people do?

And what is the best bang for the buck on mulch for these conditions?

I've
heard that leaves generates mold, as does straw/hay. Bark mulches are

kind
of expensive if you use them extensively.

mm