Old 06-05-2003, 02:20 AM
Frogleg

Default Natural way to keep rabbits out ?

On Mon, 05 May 2003 10:14:03 -0700,
(paghat) wrote:

Anyone know of a natural way to keep rabbits out of the garden ?

I'd like to hear some folks' reports of SPECIFIC harm rabbits have done to
rec.gardens gardeners' gardens. I know they can do a great deal of damage,
but it would be interesting to hear some typical examples, as I'm
wondering how often they might actually be tolerable (if not numerous) as
cute visitors with whom humans should be more willing to share at least
SOME of the garden. I'd be happy to share with wee bunnies up to a point,
& be tickled to have them visiting; but I'd have my limits no doubt.

Beans. Rabbits waited 'til the beans were up and had 1 or 2 pair of
healthy real leaves, then ate every single sprout. If the beans
persisted and sent out new leaves, the rabbits persisted more.This
happened to me and about 10 others in a community garden. Of course,
they nibbled on other things, too. I sat in the garden weeding and
watched a "wee bunny" chewing up a tomato plant 15' away (not mine).

The trouble with "cute" wildlife is that you can rarely usher it to a
"shared" portion of your garden. They just don't understand, "you can
have 5 bean plants and the rest are for me." Few would mind if
squirrels ate a dozen pecans from a prolific tree, but they don't.
They bite into and ruin hundreds, and leave them to spoil.

Wild European rabbits are Australia's worst animal pest, causing
hundreds of million$ of damage, both to crops and the natural
environment, as well as spreading disease.