Old 06-05-2003, 02:20 AM
Tsu Dho Nimh

Default Converting a lawn into a garden

topher wrote:

I have a fairly small (abt 15' x 12') fenced-in area in my back yard
which I would like to use as a garden. It was presumably a vegetable
garden earlier, fenced in because of a high deer population. But now
it's covered with grass and weeds. I'd like to use it for a vegetable
garden now, but I'm not sure of the best way to convert it.

Spray everything thoroughly with Roundup, wiat for it to start to
dir then weedwhack it all. Then lay layers of newspaper 10-15
sheets thick over the mess and wet them. Spread a 3-4 inch thick
layer of some sort of compost, mulch, wood chips,or clean straw
(or all of the above) wet it all thoroughly and let it sit for a
while. pullany weeds that emerge,of course.

Then start setting out your plants right through the mulch and
paper and just keep adding mulch as the old stuff decomposes.

Tsu

--
To doubt everything or to believe everything
are two equally convenient solutions; both