Old 06-05-2003, 02:23 AM
Joe Doe

Default Xeriscapers

In article ,
(Steve Coyle) wrote:

With the exception of Oleanders I like just about everything on
the Grow Green plant list.

Out of curiosity why do you dislike oleanders?

I like them a lot but am trying to understand peoples distaste for them.

Reasons that have been mentioned previously or I have discovered on my own:

1) Suceptible to a fungal? disease. Maybe true but these sorts of things
do not stop people from considering Red Oaks attractive and plantable.

2) Poisonous. True but so are many other plants.

3) Heavily used and common. True, but this does not bother me terribly.

4) Not bullet proof in terms of cold hardiness. This actually has me
worried. I intend to use oleander very heavily for screening. My
understanding is that Red is the hardiest but even it will not survive the
most record breaking cold we might encounter. I wanted to use several
colors that are even less hardy. Since I want this as a screen, if it
proves not to be cold hardy I am in trouble.

Roland