Old 06-05-2003, 02:23 AM
Jim W

Default Comfrey as a Green Fertilizer?

dave @ stejonda wrote:

In message ,
Computerman writes
I have a small veg patch (48 sq ft) that is "tired" through, I believe, not
enough variety of crop, plus failure to rotate crops sufficiently.

Someone has suggested a year under a green fertilizer and has suggested
comfrey. I know nothing about this and would welcome some advice (ie can
comfrey be used for this? If not, what alternatives would you suggest?)

If this is a workable solution, can I rotovate comfrey into the soil at the
end of the season so that the garden is ready for veg next spring?

Each piece of Comfrey root would grow into a new plant - & it's
perennial.

For more information on Comfrey see
http://www.futurefoods.com/comfrey.html

See http://www.hdra.org.uk/grn_mans.htm for alternative green manures.

As you will read from above sources.. comfrey is not normally grown as a
cover crop (also known as 'green manure' aka your 'green fertilisr') It
is however used to make liquid feeds or can be cut and used as a mulch..
The main thing is not to allow it to seed.. Russian comfrey and the
hybrid 'Bocking 14' are much less prone to seeding than 'English'
comfrey.

FOr the purpose of harvesting it is normal to grow a number of plants in
[permanent positions, given their propensity to grow from pieces of root
I would NOT recommend rotovating across whole plants.. Though you could
rotovate cut foiliage into a piece of ground.

//
Jim