Old 06-05-2003, 02:23 AM
Sarah Dale

Default Branch growing below the graft

On Sun, 04 May 2003 21:40:06 +0100, MC Emily wrote:

Thanks, Sarah. I thought I'd heard that I should do that. Will I be able
to grow the sucker into a tree and, if so, how do I do it?

Jaqy,

Interesting thought. Now, you said you had a "branch" of about 1 foot long
growing below the graft. Now this is not the same as a sucker! In fact
you're going way beyond my knowledge!

If you have a grafted tree, the branch growing below the graft is from the
root stock, and should be removed because it can overwelm the grafted
stock, and after all you paid for the tree that had been grafted rarther
than the root stock. Trees are grafted onto rootstocks for several reasons
- typically to control the size of the grafted stock (smaller, larger
etc.)

Suckers are - actually I'm not sure what they are - but they can grow from
the roots or bases of trees such as cherry or plums - they are small to
start with, but can grow out of control. Maybe someone can define a sucker
better for me!

I think your tree's below graft growth might be too big to be able to root
it - but have a go - you won't loose anything. Cut the branch off close to
the trunk to get it off the tree. Then, shortn it to just below a bud,
remove excess leaves, and either pop it in a vase of water or a pot of
very damp compost, and see if it will root. You'd be better off trying
with a smaller, younger shoot to be honest, and it still might not work.
I'm none to sure how good cherries are for this sort of thing. Willow is
excellent!

Sarah