Old 06-05-2003, 02:23 AM
Rick McGreal

Default At what age did you get into gardening?

Kay Easton wrote in
:

I started with cacti too, my first ones placed in my bedroom window by
my mother when I was about 6 .. by 10 I was an enthusiastic collector.

I'm not an enthusiast...But I do enjoy collecting the ones I like....
I have about 20 cacti spread about the house now....
Plus all my other plants....

When I first met my now wife I had a LOT more....I used to take 'fying'
plants off people and bring them back....Then people wouldn't want them
back....So I would keep them.....And I hate to just dump them.....
I gave a 10yr old Yukka to my Mother-In-Law....And she kept it alive for
about a year...Then proptly killed it.....

I went ballistic to say the least! B-)

I also had my own 'garden' which I neglected. So Mum started to buy the
odd plant which was 'mine' by dotted around the rest of the garden.

I never *really* had my own plants as such.....
I sometimes *ahem* 'adopted' plants and woiuld spend a little more time on
them....
But ither than that I just worked....B-)

In teenage years I started to help her more and more around the garden
and learnt the basics of veg and pruning.

I wish I had payed attetion to what my parents had said.....
I was more interested in indoor stuff....
The outside stuff was just one of my chores.....
A bit like washing the pots really!

But real gardening didn't start till I had my own garden, at 21.

I just started when I moved here last July

Strange, though - it feels as if I've been doing it all my life, and I
can't imagine what it must be like not to be interested in it.

B-)