Old 06-05-2003, 02:23 AM
Jon

Default Newbie: Just received an allotment garden

Sounds like an awful lot of work to me:-) Depends on how much time
you've got, but I'd repair your beds, dig and remove weeds (and
artichokes? know nothing about them), rake etc to produce as nice a
tilth as you can and get sowing. Mark the rows clearly, so you can hoe
the weeds in between and when you can identify the seeds you have
sown, hand weed more thoroughly.
I've sown spring onions, leeks, carrots and lettuce in March this
year. Admittedly, we've had a good warm, dry spell and most have come.
But I work on the principle of sowing little, often and if some don't
come, I sow again. It get's me a decent spread of when things are
ready to eat.
Bearing in mind that you are in Devon and I'm in Scotland, I wouldn't
worry too much:-))
Jonny

. My current plan goes something like this, based
on different things I've read and my (admittedly sketchy) understanding
of British growing conditions.

1. Remove weeds (and Jerusalem artichokes)
2. Remove raised soil onto tarpaulin
3. Install newspaper 4-5 inches below top soil level, leaving spaces for
root crop rows (apparently this will help stop any perennial weeds
coming back)
4. Replace soil
5. Fertilise and cover with black plastic
6. Leave for 2 weeks, remove any stubborn weeds, then sow seeds

Does this sound reasonable, or even sensible? Is it overkill? Is it not
enough? I'm used to gardening in a very hot dry (but short) growing
season, where even the weeds have trouble taking hold. I'm looking to
start work this week, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks much,

Misty