Old 06-05-2003, 02:23 AM
Mimi De Moratti

Default suggestions please for back of pond plant

On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 8:30:42 +0100, dave @ stejonda wrote
(in message ):

My pond is at the edge of the garden about 14" from the 6ft fence. I
have rocks hiding the edge of the liner. I've just removed a
summer-flowering lonicera from the site because whilst it was evergreen
where I obtained the cutting (my workplace in London, SE5) it drops its
leaves out here just inside the M25 which makes for work I don't need
clearing the pond of its droppings.

I'd like to replant the space with plants which will be happily
evergreen in such a situation, not necessarily covering the full height
of the fence, not necessarily flowering. Bamboo, I fear, would be a risk
to the pond liner although I could (with some effort) insert some
barrier fabric.

Ideas please.

What about grasses, like, for example, miscanthus? Yes, they die back in
winter (maximizing light on dull days) but the dead stuff does not drop off
on a daily basis - it stays put for you to cut off if and when you feel it
necessary. Therefore, no mess in pond!