Old 06-05-2003, 02:23 AM

Default Comfrey as a Green Fertilizer?

Don't grow comfrey-I had an allotment which was once an old comfrey
field-grown by my farmer friend as a treatment for psoriasis. It can be a
dominating weed and grows from fragments of root, leaf cuttings and seed.
Rotavating only spreads it.
Regards
David T
"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message
Try http://www.greenchronicle.com/garden...frey_herb.htm.
Comfrey grows as a weed in our garden and is very difficult to erdicate
because of the deep tap roots.
Think of a thistle or dandelion but with much more attractive foliage.
So - sounds good, but be prepared for it to come back every year from deep
tap roots.

"Computerman" wrote in message
. 13.2...
I have a small veg patch (48 sq ft) that is "tired" through, I believe,

not
enough variety of crop, plus failure to rotate crops sufficiently.

Someone has suggested a year under a green fertilizer and has suggested
comfrey. I know nothing about this and would welcome some advice (ie

can
comfrey be used for this? If not, what alternatives would you suggest?)

If this is a workable solution, can I rotovate comfrey into the soil at

the
end of the season so that the garden is ready for veg next spring?

TIA.

--
CM