Old 06-05-2003, 03:20 AM
Matt Hanson

Default sand

I have pure white Florida beach sand in my tank. It's about as fine as sand
gets, and I have no problems with it getting anywhere.

The big thing to remember is not to seed it too deep, or a stinky, rotten,
anearobic layer will eventually develop under it.

And, of course, you don't need to put your filter tube on the floor of the
aquarium. Half-way up is fine.

stwalkden wrote:

I'm planing to set up an amazon bioype tank in a 33 gallon tank. I have 2
aquaclear filters on this tank. I would like to a sand flourite mix as a
substrate, but am concerned about the sand getting into the filter
impellers. Or I can go with natural (uncolored) river gravel. I plan to have
40 watts of flourecent lighing, mainly swords and dwarf sag. Any opinions?