Old 06-05-2003, 03:32 AM
Hussein M.

Default English bluebells

On Mon, 5 May 2003 14:46:26 +0100, Janet Galpin and Oliver Patterson
wrote:

The message
from "dave @ stejonda" contains these words:

In message , Hussein M.
writes
On Sat, 3 May 2003 19:05:27 +0100, "Rod"
wrote:

IMHO the real danger (if it really matters that much anyway) is people
dumping unwanted bluebells in the countryside and of misguided
'conservationists' buying or obtaining bluebells of unknown provenance to
'restore' a bluebell wood.

There is a bulk bulb supplier called Florajacs

snip
the bluebells were
Spanish.

I recently bought some bluebells from Florajacs. The photo on their web
site appears to be off English Bluebells
http://www.florajacs.co.uk/images/bluebell.jpg
and their description is Bluebell (Scilla Non-Scripta).

snip

hybrids). If the Florajac bluebells are indeed not English then I will
be extremely unhappy - maybe I should wait until next year before
removing the existing ones..

It would be very worrying if a set-up as big as that is sending out vast
quantities of misnamed bluebells.
Could you perhaps ask them for a definite assertion either way rather
than waiting a year to find out?

This made me suddenly wonder whether I had inadvertently and
unfairly maligned Florajacs.

I definitely got their special offer which included "50 Bluebells".
I don't remember there being bluebells in the garden before. They have
been going for a couple of years now and are spread about quite a bit
and are pale blue and upright. What does that sound like to you?

Yes, they do, I see, list non-scripta in their wholesale offerings.

Hang on. What about prices.

Well, to give an idea of what was included in the special offer for
sixty squid:

100 Single Snowdrops
50 Double Snowdrops
50 Aconite Cilicia
50 Bluebells
50 Aconite Hyemalis

Plus 50 FREE Tète â Tète Narcissi

* 5 Cyclamen Coum
5 Erythronium Pagoda
25 Snowdrop Ikariae
25 Snowdrop Elwesii

You Save £10.75

They are wholesaling non-scripta at 12 squid per 100 so the bluebell
element of the order is theoretically 6 squid.

Have you seen the picture they have of their non-scripta?

http://www.florajacs.co.uk/spring.htm

Yes, it's not a good large clear graphic but the colour looks the
same as mine. I had a look for cream pollen today and didn't find any.
Who knows, maybe I have a garden chock a block with non-scripta!

I will have to phone my friend so he can drive me to the famous
local bluebell woods where I know they are non-scripta.

We'll see. Maybe that was the ten pounds saving, maybe they ...

Aw shucks, I'm getting mine from the other place.

Huss

Maybe the special offer
Grow a little garden

spam block - for real addy, reverse letters of second level domain.