Old 06-05-2003, 04:20 AM
Kay Easton

Default At what age did you get into gardening?

In article ,
Elizabeth writes

I only really got into gardening in the last few years (now mid-20s), once I
moved into a place that had more than a windowsill.

Though back in Australia I grew a fabulous crop of zinnias as a child. I was
extremely proud of them and have a great picture of me standing next to them
with most of them up to my waist in brilliant mixed colours. I learned the
names of plants (mostly Australian natives) from my mother who has a mad
fascination for banksias, and I picked up how *not* to prune rhododendrons

Does anyone know if banksias grow over here? (my mum would be so proud if I
managed one)

Not out of doors. You might manage one indoors - ISTR Thompson and
Morgan sell seed for them - think Chiltern do too, and they will be
cheaper.

Chilterns have quite a few australian natives, some of which will grow
out of doors here.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: