Old 06-05-2003, 04:32 AM
Shiva

Default They're HERE!!! S&W order arrives! [LONG]

On Thu, 1 May 2003 16:46:39 -0400, Kim
wrote:

Almost as soon as I'd sent off the earlier message saying the container roses
were on the way, I heard a van pulling up in the driveway. Who might it be but
Airborn Express....and I could see a couple of VERY LARGE BOXES through the
back windows of the van!

I can't tell you how excited I was -- my first real "bunch of roses"!

Shiva asked me to let her know my impressions of S&W's container roses

I sure did! Good job! They sound wonderful.

You had to literally cut the boxes off them to get them out. The only one with
any "damage" was the mini, and I shouldn't even be calling it damage -- one of
the staples that held the boxes together had penetrated the container just a
little bit so it "snagged" as you took it out.

This kind of packing just amazes me. I have no idea how they can
afford to take the time and do it, for what they charge for roses.

Intrigue: Plant was 31" - 32" inches tall, so the top stem was slightly bent
over. There were 6 buds on that cane and 1 on another. The bud that was alone
had already bloomed and was almost ready to drop petals...but boy, was it
"smelly"! LOL

Please keep me posted about this rose. I am still searching for the
true purple rose.

Margaret Merril: 29" tall with at least one bud. Active growth on the end of
some canes/branches.

God I love this rose. Mine has a sucky shape, but the blooms are
delicious. Much better in its third year. This one gets blackspot
easily here, so take care of her.

I don't know if it was the right thing to do or not, but I couldn't wait to get
them planted. They are all in the ground now. Never having gotten mail order
container roses I don't know if I was supposed to let them "rest" for a while
or something.

This made me laugh. How I wish I could get mine into the ground when I
want to! Good for you.

That brings up a question. Once they were all in the ground I noticed that the
ones I'd mentioned earlier that were a bit tall for the boxes, and had a bit of
droop because of it, were looking somewhat more "droopy" now. They hadn't been
watered at that point.

I watered them very lightly

No no. Never, ever water lightly, unless you and your house are
floating away. :-) As long as they drain, roses love water. You cannot
water too much.

I'm so glad you like your roses!