Old 06-05-2003, 06:44 AM
The Devil's Advocate

Default Newbie: Just received an allotment garden

I agree I would weed and plant. Never heard about newspaper stopping
perrenial weds by the way. As you're a lot cooler than in the City I should
think you have an ideal time to sow sweetcorn indoors ready to go out later
this month

From the English Riviera
If you live in Paradise why would you want to go abroad for a holiday?
Answers on a postcard to
http://www.cornishlight.freeserve.co.uk/rame.htm

Sue & Bob Hobden wrote:
: Misty wrote in message
:: Hi folks, I've enjoyed reading your posts for awhile, while I've
:: been on the waiting list for an allotment here in Devon. I've only
:: just been able to get one, and to my dismay, not a thing has been
:: done to it since the end of last summer. I've got a lot of work
:: ahead of me. (apologies in advance for the long post btw, but I want
:: to make sure I get off on the right foot)
:
: Sounds an easy job, ours wasn't used for over 20 years when we took
: it over (except for parking cars on!!!)
:
::
:: My current aim is to get the existing beds in shape so I can plant
:: some vegetables asap. I haven't started any seeds, because I had no
:: idea when or if I'd get an allotment this year. I don't have any
:: experience gardening in the UK but judging by what the books and
:: seed packets have to say, it will be ok if I sow outdoors by the end
:: of May. I'm planting pretty standard stuff this year: carrots,
:: beets, peas, beans, courgettes, sweetcorn, lettuce, radishes, spring
:: onions and some herbs. Also some tomatoes and strawberries, but I'll
:: get plants for those. Am I being too ambitious, given that it's
:: already early May?
:
: No, should be OK.
::
:: My other question is with regards to bed preparation. The beds are
:: raised (although the boards have been taken down and need
:: re-affixing) and full of weeds, plus one of them is full of
:: Jerusalem artichokes which I don't want to keep (even though I hear
:: they're expensive, and wonderful, and stuff). My current plan goes
:: something like this, based on different things I've read and my
:: (admittedly sketchy) understanding of British growing conditions.
::
:: 1. Remove weeds (and Jerusalem artichokes)
:
: It's only a year since it was used so will be mostly annual weeds so
: should be easy but I'm not so sure the "fartychokes" will be.
:
:: 2. Remove raised soil onto tarpaulin
:: 3. Install newspaper 4-5 inches below top soil level, leaving spaces
:: for root crop rows (apparently this will help stop any perennial
:: weeds coming back)
:
: Shouldn't be many perennial weeds if it's only been left fallow for a
: year and you can just hoe them off anyway and if you keep doing that
: they eventually die out. (except for Mares Tails that is) :-(
:
:: 4. Replace soil
:: 5. Fertilise and cover with black plastic
:: 6. Leave for 2 weeks, remove any stubborn weeds, then sow seeds
:
: Why? Why not just weed, manure lightly, and plant.