Old 06-05-2003, 12:32 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default maximising chilli crops

In article ,
"K" writes:
| Hi all,
| I've currently got 2 chilli plants on a windowsill at home - they are
| growing beautifully and are about 2 feet tall. One of them is starting to
| form buds that will hopefully be the origin of some lovely fruit in the
| months to come.

Mine are 2" high :-(

| I'm looking for tips on how to obtain the best crop - numbers and quality of
| fruit. I've read here and there that I should use tomato feed, should water
| them consistently throughout, should starve them of water and then flood
| them to increase the heat etc etc. but I'm not too sure exactly which was to
| go..... any help / advice / comments would be much appreciated.

The critical things are full sun, warm to hot conditions (at least in
the day), good drainage and preventing serious pest infections.

They are pretty tough, and grow in a variety of conditions, so the
other factors are less critical. Don't be deluded by claims that
they need high humidity - that is only by Californian standards!
The UK very rarely gets dry enough to worry them, even indoors.

I can't tell you which treatment is optimal, though.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.