Old 06-05-2003, 01:20 PM
The Reid

Default Newbie: Just received an allotment garden

Following up to M Babcock

My current aim is to get the existing beds in shape so I can plant some
vegetables asap. I haven't started any seeds, because I had no idea when
or if I'd get an allotment this year. I don't have any experience
gardening in the UK but judging by what the books and seed packets have
to say, it will be ok if I sow outdoors by the end of May. I'm planting
pretty standard stuff this year: carrots, beets, peas, beans,
courgettes, sweetcorn, lettuce, radishes, spring onions and some herbs.
Also some tomatoes and strawberries, but I'll get plants for those. Am I
being too ambitious, given that it's already early May?

I got my allotment last year and didnt get much sown before end May,
my parsnips turned out better than my neighbours ones, which went in
at the correct time.

My other question is with regards to bed preparation. The beds are
raised (although the boards have been taken down and need re-affixing)
and full of weeds, plus one of them is full of Jerusalem artichokes
which I don't want to keep (even though I hear they're expensive, and
wonderful, and stuff). My current plan goes something like this, based
on different things I've read and my (admittedly sketchy) understanding
of British growing conditions.

1. Remove weeds (and Jerusalem artichokes)

I would forget all this complicated stuff and just get the veg in
after digging over and getting most weeds out. (where I am you are
lucky to get a "prime site" only out of use for 6 months, most have to
contend with small trees!) If you want potatoes then get down to a
garden centre quick while they still have some stock and get a row or
three in pronto. Just set up your three plots for your rotation and
get the roots in quick.

Mark the rows well and keep hoeing between them.

As a novice veg grower these things were fairly easy for me in south
UK:-

bed 1
potatoes, carrots (protect from foxes once large), parsnips, beetroot

bed 2
pak choi (net over from pigeons), perpetual spinach
I had little luck with the cabbage family except for purple sprouting
broccolli.

bed 3
broad beans, french beans, peas

Permenent
strawberries (net), raspberries, loganberries

A marrow plant went well as have parsley, mint, chives and sage in the
herb department.

2. Remove raised soil onto tarpaulin
3. Install newspaper 4-5 inches below top soil level, leaving spaces for
root crop rows (apparently this will help stop any perennial weeds
coming back)
4. Replace soil
5. Fertilise and cover with black plastic
6. Leave for 2 weeks, remove any stubborn weeds, then sow seeds

this is all a mystery to me, i'm afraid.
--
Mike Reid
"Art is the lie that reveals the truth" P.Picasso