Old 06-05-2003, 02:44 PM
Smythefarm

Default Square foot gardening

We moved to a new house (just across the street) 2 years ago. I had my husband
remove all the grass from the front lawn and build me 4 large raised garden
beds. I've been growing a variety of herbs and vegetables in two of the beds
using the square foot method with good result.

Pictures of some of my garden beds using the square foot method can be found at
http://members.aol.com/smythefarm/index.htm. The first year using the square
foot method I carefully laid out the beds using string to mark out each square.
The string rotted after the first year (which I knew it would). I decide I
didn't like the look of the string so I didn't replace it this year. I still
follow some of the square foot gardening techniques but on a more relaxed
level. I live in SE Florida and many of my vegetables grow much larger than
they would up north so trying to contain them in square foot sections according
to the square foot space allotments was a little confining for certain
vegetables. I love my raised garden beds but found the square foot method a
little too restrictive.

Two of my raised beds are backed by 8 foot tall sections of trellis which works
great for all my vine plants: tomatoes, pole beans, passion flower (for the
butterflies) etc.. We set up a drip irrigation system for the herb and
vegetable beds. It's going to be 90 degrees here today - yuck!

Take care,
Lynn Smythe
www.butterflygypsy.com