Old 06-05-2003, 02:44 PM
Iris Cohen

Default [IBC] clip and grow

I have been reading Bonsai Masterclass by Peter Chan, and he discussed the
clip and grow method, a pruning method of achieving an attractive shape for
bonsai.

This is also known as the Ling-Nan school. It originated in South China. It is
described in detail in Mr. Wu's books and in Korashoff. There are certain
requirements:
A very long growing season or indoor plants.
Fast growing species.
Infinite patience.
You have to start growing bonsai at the age of 4, like Mr. Wu, & live into the
90s, or inherit trees that were started by your grandfather.
Most of us rank amateurs usually combine wiring with the cut-and-run method.
However, you have to make sure that the same tree does not obviously contain
both the angular growth typical of clip-and-grow and the sinuous curves of
wired trees. Have one or the other.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."