Old 06-05-2003, 02:44 PM
jane

Default Newbie: Just received an allotment garden

On Tue, 06 May 2003 12:28:36 +0100, Peter James
wrote:

~On Mon, 05 May 2003 19:45:28 +0100, M Babcock
wrote:
~
~Hi folks, I've enjoyed reading your posts for awhile, while I've been on
~the waiting list for an allotment here in Devon. I've only just been
~able to get one, and to my dismay, not a thing has been done to it since
~the end of last summer. I've got a lot of work ahead of me. (apologies
~in advance for the long post btw, but I want to make sure I get off on
~the right foot)
~
~Lucky old you! In Cornwall here, there's no way I can get an
~allotment.
~One thing you could consider as you're starting a little late in the
~year, and that is to go to your local livestock market. You will find
~farmers there later in the year, selling things like cabbage,
~broccoli,caulifower, sprout, leek plants etc. Usually not too
~expensive , and that will enable you to get your winter vegetables
~planted out in nice time. Good luck, I envy you.

I'd not buy in brassicas, in case your plot has not got clubroot and
the bought-in ones do... cos once you've got it...

I started at this time of the year and bunged in carrots, leeks
(bought in: Gardener's Kitchen from local garden centre), onion sets
(cheap at this time of year), beetroot (seed tape!), marrows and green
sprouting broccoli (the latter grown myself and planted out in July!)
and accidental spuds (were left from previous tenant) and all did very
well. I was eating the broccoli for most of the next spring. I grew
enough to warrant a second freezer come September and all veg in
Christmas dinner was homegrown.

Have fun - it's hard work but gets easier after the first year.

--
jane

Mark Twain

Please remove nospam from replies, thanks!