Old 06-05-2003, 02:44 PM
Gary Woods

Default Wild Garlic

Stephen Howard wrote:

D'you mean Ramsons - the broad leaved wild garlic with the little
sprays of white flowers?

Those sound very much like what are called "Ramps" over here. In the
spring, people dig them from semi-shady wooded spots and chop the little
bulbs for various dishes. There are even Ramp festivals down in the
Appalachian mountains of Virginia and Tennessee. A friend knows of a nice
patch of them, and gave me a bagful last spring. The very few I didn't eat
took hold nicely along a path to the pond. Those concerned with the social
graces probably ought to eschew them. This has never been my problem!

The spring-scented,