Old 06-05-2003, 02:56 PM
Lee Brouillet

Default PLEASE someone help me? I'm losing it. (Need pumps)

Lisa, this is the best buy I can find on the net right now. It's a 2 speed
pump (2400 gph and 5,000 gph) on 2.6 amps (low) for $199.95, including leaf
trap.

http://tinyurl.com/b3le

Your limiting factor will be your piping: don't skimp if you want the
maximum oomph from high speed. No less that 2", 3" would be better.

Lee
"Lisa" wrote in message
om...
Hi. I've spent 3 full days on this and still haven't made a decision
so any advice would be SOOOOO appreciated.

I want to build an approximately 1500 gallon pond (min. 1200). The
pond is in a shaded area and at this time, I'm not interested in
keeping koi. If I have any fish at all - perhaps some goldfish or
native minnows. I want frogs. I also have a critter problem here and
will have problems with keeping alot of plants. But I plan to have
some.

OK - My goal is to have a strong/loud waterfall spilling about 2' high
from the pond surface. I want a biofilter in the waterfall head of
about a 45 gallon size.

My theory/desire is to have a nice roar/waterfall by day and be able
to turn it down to basic "keep things alive/healthy" minimum levels by
night/when away & not able to enjoy the pond. I thought of seeing if
there was a variable or 2-speed pump for this, but the only one's I've
found cost a fortune.

So... I guess I'd like 2 pumps. One to run the biofilter 24/7, and
one to turn on for drama to kick the waterfall into high gear when I'm
outside/have guests, etc. I'm figureing this will save me a boat
load of money over running a big pump 24/7 when I really don't need
that.

Since I want a strong/loud waterfall, I first thought of getting a
total of 2400gph pump. Then someone suggested a 3600.

I've been contemplating the pondmaster mag. The 3600 eats 380w. The
2400 eats 265w. 1800 145w, 1200 110w.

I'm stil not quite sure how to calculate head, but I'm figuring the
flexible hose between the pump & the wateroutlet/spill would be about
5-6 feet. So I know that a 2400gph pump won't REALLY be a 2400 when
all is said & done. It would really be 1800.

If I do the 2 pump deal.... How can I figure out the proper size to
keep the pond healthy through the biofilter? I know you can't push
too too much through the filter or it won't work right?

So... Not only am I not sure if I need a total pump of 2400 or 3600.
I'm unclear about the ratio I should split them up with. Say if I
want 3600 total, should I get a 1200 for the biofilter and a 2400 for
the waterfall drama? Or an 1800 + 1800? Or is 3600 total absolutely
ridiculous?

It's just that I saw the perfect waterfall at my local garden center
and they had a 3,000 gph sump style pump running it. It looked
perfect and I'd hate to have less than that look & am worried 2400gph
worth of pump won't pull that off?

This is such a nightmare for me. Hubby's out of town (he's the math
expert of the house). My old preform is empty & ready to be ripped
out. I have the liner and need to order the pumps ASAP cuz I can't
stand looking at this anymore. So I'm anxious to place the order as
my pumps might take at least a week to get here.

What would you do? TIA