Old 06-05-2003, 04:20 PM
Evergreen Gardenworks

Default [IBC] Amur and Trident maple germinating differences

At 05:17 PM 5/5/03 +0200, Theo wrote:
HI Brent
I have here on my desk 2 leaves and 4 seeds of "Acer sempervirens* or
maple form
Creta
it is a sort of trident maple small leaves quite hard like bay leaves
it is making
a lot of seeds actually ( May in Europe Geneva botanic garden )
I made a scan if you wish to see it
It only looses partially the leaves during the cold winther here
When should I collect seeds? september? they seems quite in advance for the
season..
and making cuttings ? is june the best season for ?
thanks for your feed back

Theo

I can't find A. sempervirens in any of my seed sources, so I will take a
guess. Acer species seem to fall into two categories with regard to seed,
spring ripening and fall ripening. Spring ripening seed forms from flowers
that develop in very early spring as the leaves emerge. The seed develops
immediately and is ripe in about a month or two. You can tell the seed is
ripe because the seed will begin to dry a bit and perhaps start falling
from the tree. This seed must be soaked and planted immediately at 70F or
above. Your tree probably falls into this category.

If you want to play it safe, divide the seed in half. Plant half when you
think it is ripe. Leave the rest on the tree. When it starts falling from
the tree by itself, soak it and put it in the refrigerator until next spring.

Brent in Northern California
Evergreen Gardenworks USDA Zone 8 Sunset Zone 14

http://www.EvergreenGardenworks.com

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++