Old 06-05-2003, 04:44 PM
c.mcculloch

Default Scented Clematis

When I read this post this morning, I thought no, C. montana rubens does not
have scented flowers, because neither of mine have scent. However, I am just
back from walking the dog, and came across one - definitely C. montana
rubens - with a scent powerful enough for me to track it from 30 or so yards
away. The scent is rather like that of some petunias. A check via Google
shows that the RHS lists a C. montana var rubens 'Odorata'. I guess that
this must be what you have!

Colin

"Shirley" wrote in message
Last year I bought 3 un-named Clematis, one seems to be Clematis Alpina

and
the other 2 are Montana types (thought they were Alba & Rubens) but both
have scented pink flowers, does C. Rubens have scented flowers ?

Whatever it's name is, it smells delicious :-)
--
Shirley
see my cats at