Old 06-05-2003, 04:56 PM
Computerman

Default Comfrey as a Green Fertilizer?

(Nick Maclaren) wrote in
:

In article ,
Computerman writes:
| I have a small veg patch (48 sq ft) that is "tired" through,
| I believe, not enough variety of crop, plus failure to rotate
| crops sufficiently.

At that area, it is very likely. One year will not help much with
any build-up of pests, though.

| Someone has suggested a year under a green fertilizer and has
| suggested comfrey. I know nothing about this and would welcome some
| advice (ie can comfrey be used for this? If not, what alternatives
| would you suggest?)

Frankly, why not buy 4 bags of muck?

| If this is a workable solution, can I rotovate comfrey into the soil
| at the end of the season so that the garden is ready for veg next
| spring?

Hang on. This is 8'x6', right? And you ROTOVATE it?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

1. Size units should have been in sq yards, not sq feet. My apologies.

2. Have tried dung. Last twice it was too fresh and was more straw than
anything else. Because of that it also introduced weeds. I don't have
the room to store it and rot it down at the plot.

3. Ever since I broke my back 7 years ago, digging the plot has become
something of a problem.

--
CM