Old 06-05-2003, 07:56 PM
Nick Spalding

Default Wooden Garden Furniture

Three years ago we bought some teak furniture - table, chairs and a Lutyens
style bench from a market. The price was far less than those in garden
centres or D-I-Y outfits at the time. I treated the wood with teak oil
but in time that attracted soot, dirt and pollen and went dark.
To get the colour back I have had to scrub and sand back to the original
wood and am now trying Danish Oil as the preservative.

I would agree with the previous posters that the hardwoods are a better bet,
but whatever you buy will need thorough and regular treatment to keep it
both protected and looking good. So, yes money will buy you a start but the
rest is down to care and time in looking after what you have.

My father bought some teak chairs made from the timbers of a ship - HMS
Aresthusa I think - in a country house sale in 1950 - those chairs are still
going strong .....

Nick Spalding

I'd like a short (about 1m long) wooden bench for my garden. I've seen
very cheap pine offerings and expensive naughty hardwoods. Will money
buy me resistance to rote, mould, etc?

Is there a really good "treatment" that will prevent rot? A lot of these
seem to be for rough sawn timber only.

Thanks!

Nick Spalding