Old 06-05-2003, 08:56 PM
Fleemo

Default slug preferences

What attract slugs full stop my house backs on to a field you would
think they had enough to eat there but they come in droves and it can
be quite disgusting them crawling all over the place they ate all my
marigorlds last year, and I hate putting down slug pellets because of
the poor birds then eating the slugs

Regards Linda

Linda, pick up some Sluggo or Escar-go, the latter of which is
available at Garden's Alive (http://www.gardensalive.com). It's
basically pellets of iron phosphate which reportedly inhibit the slugs
from eating, and they crawl off and die. The best part about it is
that it's not harmful to other critters such as birds, pets, or
kiddies. AND, once the stuff breaks down, it provides nutrients to
your soil. A win-win combination.

My order arrived on Monday, and I sprinkled it in my strawberry bed.
This morning was the first morning that *I* actually got some
strawberries to eat before the slugs. There was no sign of slug
damage to any of my freshly ripe fruit. I'm a believer!