Old 06-05-2003, 09:44 PM
Anne Wheeldon

Default dog faeces can it be added to compost heap

"Tumbleweed" wrote in message
"ned" wrote in message
Tumbleweed wrote:
"lee hudson" wrote in message
is it safe to add to my heap if all i am going to do with the
compost is use it for flowers in the garden

Only if you'd normally spread dog shit over your flower beds, in

that
case go ahead. BUt dont lick your lips after picking flowers.

So what has faeces in the ground got to do with picking flowers?

Well, if I smeared dog shit over your flowers you probably wouldnt care to
pick them. So why do it voluntarily? Its not as if we are so poor we need
the fertiliser.

You sit on the grass which has been defecated on by all manner of
God's creatures, with hands spread wide behind you, and never think
twice about daintily eating your cucumber sannies (with little finger
raised, of course).
;-)

The grass in my garden hasnt generally been shat on by dogs or cats, both

of
which can contain nasties hazardous to human health. And nor would I go

out
of my way to
spread shit over my lawn. Why would you do it? What benefit would accrue
from doing so that would outweigh even a tiny health risk?

I'm a bit puzzled by this. All the gardening books/ programmes say don't put
it on the compost heap, but we all use horse and chicken manure quite
happily. The website referred to in an earlier post suggests that they are v
high in phosphates from bones. My dogs eat dried food and vegetables but no
bones; they are wormed every six months so are unlikely to have toxicara
worms. I don't really grow veg. So what's the problem? Dog poo is only a
small fraction of the total compost.
I'd be very happy to get some sound advice on this.
Anne