Old 06-05-2003, 11:08 PM
Stephen Howard

Default Wooden Garden Furniture

On Tue, 6 May 2003 19:56:07 +0100, "Nick Spalding"
wrote:

Three years ago we bought some teak furniture - table, chairs and a Lutyens
style bench from a market. The price was far less than those in garden
centres or D-I-Y outfits at the time. I treated the wood with teak oil
but in time that attracted soot, dirt and pollen and went dark.
To get the colour back I have had to scrub and sand back to the original
wood and am now trying Danish Oil as the preservative.

I would agree with the previous posters that the hardwoods are a better bet,
but whatever you buy will need thorough and regular treatment to keep it
both protected and looking good. So, yes money will buy you a start but the
rest is down to care and time in looking after what you have.

My father bought some teak chairs made from the timbers of a ship - HMS
Aresthusa I think - in a country house sale in 1950 - those chairs are still
going strong .....

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk