Old 06-05-2003, 11:32 PM
cpemma

Default dog faeces can it be added to compost heap

"Kay Easton" wrote in message

I wouldn't use dog poo, or cat poo, just as I wouldn't use human poo,
though I'm quite happy for the uring of all 3 to be on my compost heap.

"Night soil" has been used as fertiliser for millenia, and I think sewage
sludge is available for soil improvement in some areas of the UK.

I've added the product from up to 4 large dogs to the compost bin ever since
it blocked the outside loo pipework about 20 years ago. Each bin is filled
over one year, along with the usual garden waste and kitchen peelings, and
then left a further year before use. After the worms and bacteria have gone
through it, no smell remains, and the texture is crumbly.

There are some crops that are said to take up the taste of over-fresh
manures (potatoes is one, IIRC) but for greens and flowers, no problem.