Old 07-05-2003, 10:44 AM
A.Malhotra

Default Wooden Garden Furniture

Stephen Howard wrote:

On Tue, 06 May 2003 23:02:24 +0100, Stephen Howard
wrote:

On Tue, 6 May 2003 19:56:07 +0100, "Nick Spalding"
wrote:

Three years ago we bought some teak furniture - table, chairs and a Lutyens
style bench from a market. The price was far less than those in garden
centres or D-I-Y outfits at the time. I treated the wood with teak oil
but in time that attracted soot, dirt and pollen and went dark.
To get the colour back I have had to scrub and sand back to the original
wood and am now trying Danish Oil as the preservative.

Whoops, forgot the message.. which was:

If you haven't already bought the Danish Oil - check out Tung Oil or
Liberon Finishing Oil. These two should provide a better, more natural
finish - though they might be a good deal more expensive.

Regards,

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk

The nice thing about teak is that it is so fine grained and well-protected
by its own oils that its needs very little doing to it. If you leave it
unoiled it will go a silvery grey in colour but I find that quite
attractive. Teak from Indonesia can be pretty much guaranteed to be
plantation sourced rather than from natural forests (the only natural
stands of teak are in Thailand, Burma and maybe Laos) so you don't have to
worry too much about your furniture contributing to forest destruction. I
bought mine from the Ocean Trading co. which wasn't cheap but very good
quality and nice styles. They have a sale at the end of the season which
offers some savings.
Anita