Old 07-05-2003, 12:08 PM
Sue

Default Bug identification please

"Alison" o.uk wrote
I beg to differ with Liz on the leatherjacket ID (though it's difficult
without a picture). IME leatherjakets are are only about 1/8 inch
diameter and are segmented all the way down and are a dull greyish brown.

I tend to think that what you have found is indeed chrysalis (the
mahogany colour and the smooth half 'body') snip

I always thought those shiny, pointy, brown coloured thingies were
leatherjackets (they do rather look the part), but from previous urg
threads I gathered they probably are moth pupae.
Here's a site with some goodies and baddies which might help identify the
creatures concerned. Still don't know what a crane-fly pupa looks like,
though.

http://www.dgsgardening.btinternet.co.uk/leatherj.htm and click on the
'larval stage' link.

Sue