Old 07-05-2003, 03:20 PM
Druss

Default Wild Garlic

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
"Colin Davidson" writes:
| "Kay Easton" wrote in message
|
| And as wild flowers surely they are protected.
|
| I don't think they are. Not all wild flowers are protected.
|
| They are - it is an offence to take any plant without permission of

the
| landowner, and I can't offhand think of any bit of the UK, apart from
| perhaps below the high tide mark, that isn't owned by *someone*
|
| Depends on where you mean. A lot of land owned by the crown has public
| access, and anything you can get to from said access is considered fair
| game. Otherwise kids picking blackberries would be illegal, picking
| mushrooms, etc, would be illegal!

The same is true of those things on private land. It is one of the
relics of Roman law, as passed on by the 'Anglo-Saxons'. The game
laws are a legacy of the Norman banditry.

That infamous Countryside Act made the DIGGING UP of all plants
comparable to the taking of game, rather than the picking of fruit.

I thought this also applied to seeds, and thus would apply to fruit. Always
makes me laugh when I see so many "cooking outdoors" style programs on TV, I
enjoy them but think everytime he picks something to eat and films it he's
racking up an awful lot of evidence for the prosecution.
Duncan

| It's more important to know what you're picking and how to avoid

damaging
| what's there, IMHO.

Yes, definitely. But that is thinking ecologically, and not legally.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.