Old 07-05-2003, 05:20 PM
Kay Easton

Default Wild Garlic

In article , Druss
writes
"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
"Colin Davidson" writes:
| "Kay Easton" wrote in message
|
| And as wild flowers surely they are protected.
|
| I don't think they are. Not all wild flowers are protected.
|
| They are - it is an offence to take any plant without permission of

the
| landowner, and I can't offhand think of any bit of the UK, apart from
| perhaps below the high tide mark, that isn't owned by *someone*
|
| Depends on where you mean. A lot of land owned by the crown has public
| access, and anything you can get to from said access is considered fair
| game. Otherwise kids picking blackberries would be illegal, picking
| mushrooms, etc, would be illegal!

The same is true of those things on private land. It is one of the
relics of Roman law, as passed on by the 'Anglo-Saxons'. The game
laws are a legacy of the Norman banditry.

That infamous Countryside Act made the DIGGING UP of all plants
comparable to the taking of game, rather than the picking of fruit.

I thought this also applied to seeds, and thus would apply to fruit. Always
makes me laugh when I see so many "cooking outdoors" style programs on TV, I
enjoy them but think everytime he picks something to eat and films it he's
racking up an awful lot of evidence for the prosecution.

No, you can pick flowers and fruits of plants that aren't on the highly
protected list.

See http://www.naturenet.net/law/wcagen.html#plants
--
Kay Easton