Old 07-05-2003, 08:20 PM
Tyra Trevellyn

Default Verbena bonariensis.....?!

Last year I struggled to get some Verbena bonariensis started from seed I
bought, first time growing it. I was finally rewarded with a dozen or so
gorgeous plants that did very well.....lots of blooms well into autumn. I
saved some seed and left the rest of the seedheads up for the winter. This
year I see that none of the plants wintered over (I know they're relatively
tender and we had a horrific winter). However, I see something at once
horrifying and delightful, and I'm not absolutely sure I'm making the right
call. Could I possibly have (literally) ten thousand V. bonariensis seedlings
in my garden? I know the plant is a prolific self-seeder but is it really THAT
prolific? They look like verbena, but I also have lots of other self-seeders
and I can't remember exactly what the seedlings looked like last year. (Again,
they sure look like wee Verbena plants......)

Best,
Tyra
nNJ usa z6b/7a