Old 07-05-2003, 08:20 PM
Lynn Boyd

Default [IBC] Wisteria on gallery

From Jim L. :

I've posted a couple of pics of wisteria I've been training

since
the early 90s. They're on the gallery. I post them mostly

launch a discussion of blooming. Neither of these has ever
bloomed. Both are root sprouts from a large wisteria I keep

in
tree form in my yard and that booms prolifically every year.

Both are new to these pots (last year for the larger one and

this
spring for the smaller) so I have not expected blooms this

year.
SNIP

Jim,
I have watched a friend of mine outdo me with wisteria for
several years though both of mine bloom, but seldom both, and
occasionally neither. I am about to believe in her methods.
She transplants every spring in deep pots, keeps a lot of
the roots (within reason), fertilizes regularly, then in
Fall uses phosphorus. She does the repotting rather early,
but not any pruning then. She prunes them in Fall or late
summer.
Her pots are not what we usually like to see wisteria in,
but something works for her, maybe it is the deep cascade
pots.
Neither of mine bloomed this year. It has been two years
since they were repotted, they look healthy in foliage. I
did not give them phosphorus last year. She tells me to
repot now, fertilize regularly, give phosphorus in the Fall,
put them in full sun, water to keep at least slightly moist &
with a container beneath the pot with some water to be sure.
I am going to repot one of them and give it a try. She thinks
it could bloom yet this year. The real difference in our
handling is the yearly repotting in fresh soil. Her soil is
50% organic, some peat and some heavy sand.
Your modern pot is nice looking. Attractive trees.
Lynn
Lynn Boyd, Oregon, USA

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++