Old 07-05-2003, 09:32 PM
paghat

Default Verbena bonariensis.....?!

In article ,
oway (Tyra Trevellyn) wrote:

Last year I struggled to get some Verbena bonariensis started from seed I
bought, first time growing it. I was finally rewarded with a dozen or so
gorgeous plants that did very well.....lots of blooms well into autumn. I
saved some seed and left the rest of the seedheads up for the winter. This
year I see that none of the plants wintered over (I know they're relatively
tender and we had a horrific winter). However, I see something at once
horrifying and delightful, and I'm not absolutely sure I'm making the right
call. Could I possibly have (literally) ten thousand V. bonariensis seedlings
in my garden? I know the plant is a prolific self-seeder but is it

really THAT
prolific? They look like verbena, but I also have lots of other self-seeders
and I can't remember exactly what the seedlings looked like last year.

(Again,
they sure look like wee Verbena plants......)

Best,
Tyra
nNJ usa z6b/7a

Yes you could have ten thousand brazillian verbena seedlings! They will
die in damp ground, but they self-seed dramatically in dry sunny spots.
They are invasive weeds in some areas, but in zones 6 through 8, they
really ought to be manageable. I planted some by the road where they're
welcome to spread, &amp when they erupt where I don't want them, I just
grab 'em & pull 'em out of the ground.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
See the Garden of Paghat the Ratgirl: