Old 07-05-2003, 09:32 PM
Gene Newcomb

Default An unusual plant?

You might however take a look at the following URL.

http://www.cnr.vt.edu/dendro/dendrol.../ohorridum.htm

Gene again

Gene Newcomb wrote:

I didn't see the short stem comment when I wrote. All bets are off. Now I've lost
the URL and can't find the pictures again.

Gene

Gene Newcomb wrote:

Probably Oplopanax horridum (Sm.) Miq. It has long spines on the stem and is
native to Pacific North West and on up into Alaska. One common name is Devil's
club. It often grows in dense thickets in narrow moist ravines making for a
hard struggle to get through it.

Gene Newcomb

Monique Reed wrote:

Um, Smilax is a monocot and will not have palmately lobed leaves.

M. Reed

Iris Cohen wrote:

I came across a plant that
looked unusual. It also looks a bit unfriendly.

If it is a vine with prickers, it is a Smilax

Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)