Old 07-05-2003, 11:08 PM
ned

Default dog faeces can it be added to compost heap

"Tumbleweed" wrote in
message ...
"ned" wrote in message

snip

So what has faeces in the ground got to do with picking flowers?

Well, if I smeared dog shit over your flowers you probably wouldnt

care to
pick them. So why do it voluntarily? Its not as if we are so poor we

need
the fertiliser.

:-) I do love this argument.
Tumbleweed, no-one is suggesting that the offending material is spread
on the flower. It is applied to the soil where bacteriological action
converts it into nutrients which are taken up by the plant root
system.

There are those who claim that the best tomatoes are those fed on
sheep dip.

What do you think happens to the contents of all those rural septic
tanks filled with human waste? No, it is not taken to sewerage farms
for 'processing'. It is spread 'neat' on farmland. Just like all that
lovely dark green slurry from the cattle pens - to enrich the soil and
provide higher crop yields.

'Hope this isn't going to put you off eating organic produce. :-))

So a drop of dog muck in the comost heap is unlikely to add
significantly to risks of a bit of tummy trouble. It might even help
the immune system to combat it! You know. Like homeopathy.

'Don't you go patting any dogs, now. They might have fleas. And fleas
shit, too. ;-)

--
ned