Old 07-05-2003, 11:56 PM
Anthony E Anson

Default Wild Garlic

The message
from Kay Easton contains these words:

Yes, but without fruit bodies, they don't spread.

Do they not? Some other fungi spread asexually - dry rot, for example.

The mycelium will work its way outwards, but that's not what I meant.
That sort of spreading is very local and comes to a halt if the pH is
wrong, or the tree cover changes, or if they come up to a road, or
stream.

Mycelial strands when they meet sometimes join and form fruit bodies.
These give rise to spores which are microscopic, and when released into
the air can travel on the wind anywhere in the world. Fungal spores have
been detected in samples taken from high in the stratosphere.

The chance that one will land somewhere conducive to growth in
conditions which encourage it are the reciprocal of astronomical, which
is why each fruit body produces so many millions of spores.

But what I was referring to was that the Act says you mustn't dig up
plants, not that you mustn't pick fruit.

Fungi are not plants: they occupy a completely separate phylum.

--
Tony
Replace solidi with dots to reply: tony/anson snailything zetnet/co/uk

http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi