Old 08-05-2003, 02:56 AM
Cass

Default Species Roses

In article 00e8cfb0af891c031b20a6028b4fa274@TeraNews, Theo Asir
wrote:

Friend of mine lives out in the country in a well wooded Hilly
Scrubland. Zone 5.

She would love to have some large roses. Once bloomers are fine.
She's not particularly good @ watering or maintenance but we get
at least 50 inches of rain every year.

I have so far recommended R. Mulliganii R. Rugosa Alba & Rubra R.
Brunonii 'La Mortola'

She would love tree eating varieties.

I know Mortola is probably iffy but its worth a shot.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Someone will have to grow these up to at least 5 gallon for her. I
don't see how they would ever establish without watering in the summer
until they get to be a reasonable size.

Chevy Chase (forms a huge shrub here, easy to start in the fall)
Darlow's Enigma (Very unusual plant, species-hybrid looking, growing
like a weed) Kiftsgate Canary Bird (it's yellow) Rosa Setigera (gotta
have it - isn't it native?) Rosa Soulieana (my favorite species at the
San Jose Heritage Rose Garden)