Old 08-05-2003, 07:56 AM
Charlie Pridham

Default Can you grow Bourganvilla outside in the uk??

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article , K

wrote:

True. Much of the tropics is. But you have missed the part of the
title that said "in the UK". No way, Jose.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

There are some outdoor plants down here (not in my garden!), but to be
honest they are are shadow of what you see in sunny climes so I am not
convinced its worth the effort, They do best on south walls with a large
overhang which keeps them dry (you have to water in summer)
As to the second part of the question, the best types are based on B.
spectabilis as that has a natural cold dormant period. the other two species
are less cold tolerant and more all year round flowering (in the uk non
flowering!)

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk