Old 08-05-2003, 08:44 AM
Cupra

Default Lawn sowing

"Katharine Mill" wrote in message =
om...
| "Cupra" wrote in message =
| "Richard" wrote in message=20
| |=20
| hello=20
| Can I ask another lawn seed question or two?=20
|=20
| I sowed grass seed over 3 weeks ago and it's all coming up niceish.=20
| Question 1. Some places the grass is denser than others; will it join
| up the dots, sort of thing, or should I chuck a bit more seed down
| (it's 'shade' seed)?
|=20
| Question 2. It's now about 5 cm tall and pretty fine. At what height
| should I cut it (I'm going to do it with shears as it's a tiny plot
| and I don't have a mower or space to keep one)? And do I leave the
| cuttings where they fall or rake them up?
|=20
| Many thanks for any advice. This is all new to me - and very exciting
| it is too, watching it all come to life.
|=20
| Katharine

It could be that there were more seeds in the denser area - as long as =
there is some grass in the other patches it 'should' fill out in time.

I cut mine at around 3" and it was fine - not sure about leaving the =
cuttings in situ though. If you try to rake them out be very careful not =
to pull up the grass, as the roots won't be very strong yet!