Old 08-05-2003, 09:32 AM
Nick Maclaren

Default Wild Garlic

In article ,
Hussein M. writes:
| On 7 May 2003 20:35:09 GMT, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:
|
| A fair point; but do we want people raiding their local woods for wild
| bluebells?
|
| YES. YES! A THOUSAND TIMES, YES, YES, YES!!!!!
|
| You say that you think ecologically - THEN DO SO!
|
| Nick, I quite follow your reasoning and umbrage at the legislation
| but perhaps you have too much faith in human nature.

It is precisely because I don't that I hold my views!

| Take H. non-scripta. At the very least unfavourable you would have
| well meaning (or perhaps simply appreciative) people digging up from a
| colony of pure uncontaminated non-scripta, and then putting the plants
| into a situation where in all likelihood any further sexual
| reproduction carries grave risk from the Spaniard.

That is still a slight gain. The raided colony will recover very
quickly, and you are increasing the proportion of H. non-scripta
genes in the domestic stock.

Pure H. non-scripta is almost certainly beyond hope in the long
term, and will follow the wild form of the daffodil into extinction.
The same is probably true of most local strains of primroses,
and so on.

What I would like to see is this process slowed and restricted,
rather than speeded up and expanded. Fat hope :-(

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.