Old 08-05-2003, 09:32 AM
Bill Brewer

Default I've got the most smelly...

Hi Helen,

Your smelly plant sounds very much like an Arum. Arum dioscoridis. I have
three in my garden and they are very smelly. Known as "The Dead Horse Arum",
they are certainly not for the feint hearted gardener. Type Arum dioscoridis
into your browser and get all the pictures and info.

Bill Brewer
---------------------
"H" wrote in message
plant in the world! I bought 3 bulbs at a local garden show a few weeks

ago.
Couldn't remember what they were called. Popped them in a pot, and out

shot
these very narrow spikes. When one got to about 30 cm tall, the outer

layer
of the 'spike' peeled back. Inside was dark green with bright orange

spots.
Very nice.

However, the smell it produce is outrageous .. especially as they are in

my
conservatory which is stuffed full of plants right now and gets extremely
hot and humid during the day. Even the cats don't go in there any more
because of the smell!