Old 08-05-2003, 09:56 AM
Colin Davidson

Default basil tricks?

"Niall" wrote in message
Hi all

i have little success with my indoor basil growing

The plants seem to get very soft & weary
or have pieces of the leaves drying out & browing

Any tips, best potting mix, etc etc

Lots of light, and lots of water to begin with. I use cheap compost from
peat free growbags, springke the seed on a pot of this stuff quite thinly (I
use mixed variety seed), and sprinkle a covering of compost on top. I wet
it, and wet it again every day. I keep it on a well lit window ledge.

When it starts to grow, and gets more than two or three sets of leaves, I
pinch out the top growing shoot. Every time it tries to flower, I pinch that
out too. This will make it bushier. By the time I pinch out the growing tip
I can normally leave them to dry out a bit more, this seems to intensify the
flavour. Let them get dry-ish, but don't let them wilt.

Remember, though, that even good basil is pretty soft.