Old 08-05-2003, 12:20 PM
Other Brother Kevin

Default Converting a lawn into a garden

topher wrote:

Hi,

Snip to questions

Other questions: How do I let my own plants come up through the
mulch? I guess I'd make divets down to the soil and plant
"accurately" within them? Also, is it better in this case to overturn
the soil with a shovel or with a roto-tiller?

Either both are a lot of work. With a tiller start LOW and increase the
depth making repeated passes.

Turning the soil by hand is best done with a digging fork (IMHO)((also
see thread on NO TIME FOR POOR QUALITY TOOLS) short version; buy a
craftsman fork so when you break it, you can REPLACE it).
The advantage to digging is you can seperate out most of the root. You
also can do what is called double digging. That is where you dig down
about 2', but that can also be done for next year when you have more
time. Some plants need to have the soil loosened to greater depth. I
have DUG my gardens for years. You have to do it a little at a time.
Turn a quarter of it and plant the earliest things you have. Put
plastic or mulch the rows immediately. For vine corps form the hills
with a cupped tops to collect the water, cover with plastic, cut holes
in the plastic at the top of the hill, and plant through the plastic.
As soon a you have an empty space this fall double dig it and cover with
plastic.

Thanks again,
Topher